- This is a selective reading skill to locate facts and answers to specific questions.
- Save the time. No need to read every word on the page.
- example : timetable, chart, tables.
- Reading skill employed to obtain the general idea of a text, to find out the writer's point of view and to see how the contents in a passage are arranged.
- When a text or a passage is too long and we have limited amount of time, we use this technique.
- The speed in which we read is 3 or 4 times faster than the speed of normal reading.
- When skimming, look for key word and phrases, the headingsor subheadings for the general idea of the passage.